Tassels are used in a range of crafts, especially paper crafts, so it’s a good idea to learn how to make them. They are relatively simple to make, but as always practice makes perfect. These are perfect added to cards, albums, bookmarks and photo frames.
The instructions below for the tassels will produce tassels that are approximately 3 1/2″ in length.
Instructions taken from Woman’s Weekly, September 2014.
A thick piece of card (optional) size depending on desired length of tassel
HOW TO MAKE:
1. Wrap embroidery thread around three of your fingers, slightly spaced apart, or piece of card 15-20 times. The more you wind it around your fingers, the thicker the tassel will be.
2. Snip off the remaining thread.
3. Gently ease the threads off your fingers or card on to a pencil, making sure it doesn’t unravel.
4. Wrap a piece of the same coloured thread around the threads near the pencil.
5. Secure with a double knot.
6. Slip off the pencil and tighten.
7. Cut through the threads at the bottom and separate the strands.
8. Snip off any longer threads so they are all the same length.